- CEU DETAILS
This intensive, 4-day, hands-on course will leave therapists with concrete tools and strategies to effectively conduct an in-depth physical and sensory/motor function assessment and design effective interventions for clients birth to adult with varying degrees of involvement. This course is geared toward the intermediate to advanced clinician who is looking to improve and synthesize skills into a comprehensive and organized assessment and treatment strategy, integrating NDT, SI, reflex integration, myofascial release, cranial sacral therapy, and the visual-vestibular-auditory triad in both clinic and school settings. These effective treatment strategies extend to improving self-regulation, visual motor skills, attention, social interaction, picky eaters, sleep disorders, and sensory motor skills utilizing a “trauma informed” approach. Learn to design effective treatment plans for clinic and school, in addition to home programs, classroom strategies and environments for success for children with a wide range of diagnoses including; Autism ADHD, Anxiety and PTSD. This course creates a lasting paradigm shift on the physical/behavioral connections and gives participants a new lens to assess and treat clients.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Understand the role of ‘neurological integration,” in normal development as well as the impact of trauma on the brain and sensory systems to effectively design interventions for this population
- Identify and treat the common subtle neuro/motor challenges of children with ADHD, Autism, Anxiety and PTSD, and develop effective home and school programs
- Design interventions for the specific sensory/motor challenges of the mild, moderate, and severely involved child
- Implement treatment strategies by utilizing the knowledge of the connection between sensory processing, sleep and feeding challenges
- Apply integrated assessment techniques to execute a comprehensive neuro-motor assessment
- Identify ‘red flags” that warrant a referral to a specialist
- Perform a sensory-motor assessment including assessing primitive reflexes, visual motor skills, and vestibular functioning
- Develop effective reports and comprehensive “trauma informed’ treatment plans.
- Clearly communicate information about sensory processing challenges, how they are impacting function, and the purpose of each intervention, to parents and schools.
- Synthesize evaluation results, evidence-based research, and clinical judgment to develop effective treatment plans that promote neuroplasticity and positive change
- Utilize treatment strategies and tools and improve self-regulation, visual motor, attentional, language, and social interaction skills
- Integrate knowledge SI, NDT, myofascial release, and cranial sacral techniques to inform treatment in the home and school
An accomplished lecturer, Debra Dickson is a pediatric physical therapist, owner of Therapy Works Pediatrics LLC in CT and creator of the clinically acclaimed BEAR HUG vest. Ms. Dickson is NDT certified in pediatrics and has a strong background in sensory processing, nutrition and immune function as they relate to children with developmental disabilities. Together with Anne Buckley-Reen, she developed a program for therapists entitled The Whole Child: S.A.N.E. Strategies for Success. They are currently co-authoring The Whole Child Handbook, which incorporates a multisystem approach to understanding developmental disorders and successful strategies for improving function. Ms. Dickson lectures both locally and nationally and sits on the professional advisory committees of several nonprofit agencies.
SUNY Orange County Community College
115 South Street
BioTech Building, Room 103 (PTA Lab)
Middletown, NY 10940
This course meets the criteria for 25.5 CEUs.
Approved provider of continuing education by the American Occupational Therapy Association #3043 for 25.5 contact hours (2.55 CEUs) - Intermediate level. Occupational Therapy Process: assessment, intervention.
The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products or clinical procedures by AOTA.
NBCOT Professional development provider 25.5 PDUs.