On April 29, 2022, the Massachusetts Board of Registration of Allied Health Professions (BOAH) promulgated regulations requiring continuing competency activities as a prerequisite to licensure renewal.
The Board will begin enforcing these requirements beginning with renewals due in September
ERI is here to help!
Here are some of the details as laid out by the BOAH
- Licensees are required, as a condition of license renewal, to complete a minimum of 24 continuing competence points (one point per contact hour or equivalent as awarded by the provider) of Board recognized activities for maintaining continuing competence during the preceding biennial renewal period.
- Board-approved continuing competence activities must relate to the science or contemporary
clinical practice of physical therapy or occupational therapy and to the licensee’s current or
anticipated professional roles and responsibilities of the following type and variety.
(a) Publication. Published books, chapters of published books and/or articles in peer
reviewed journals authored by the physical therapy or occupational therapy professional may
be submitted for Board approval.
(b) Presentation and Instruction. Presenters and instructors of academic courses,
workshops, or seminars.
(c) Academic Coursework. Fully completed academic coursework, by the licensee, from
an accredited, degree-granting institution of higher education may be submitted.
(d) Continuing Competence Programs. Fully completed continuing competence programs
may be submitted.
(e) Other continuing competence activities approved by the American Occupational
Therapy Association, Inc. or the American Physical Therapy Association may be submitted
- Licensees must complete 24 continuing competence points per renewal period beginning in August 2024.
- Between September 2022 and July 2024, the number of points required is prorated depending on the renewal month according to the chart outlined by this BOAH link (i.e. if the renewal month is October 2022 you will only need 2 points. If it is September 2023 you will need 13 points).
- Deadline for to fulfill requirements is on your birthday every two years
How can we help?
ERI courses for Physical Therapists are approved by other states agency and therefore qualify for approval in Massachusetts
ERI courses for Occupational Therapists are approved by AOTA and therefore qualify for approval in Massachusetts
SEARCH HERE for all upcoming CEU courses from ERI.
We offer Live In-Person Courses, Virtual Webinars and On Demand Online courses
In a wide range of specialty fields: Pediatrics, NICU, PIU, School-Based Practice, Home Health, Neurology, Geriatrics, Vestibular, Critical Care, SNF <C and more…….
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org Or call 800 487 6530 if you need help and guidance choosing your next continuing competence course
Please do refer to these links for complete details: