Management of Acutely Ill Patients: An Evidence Based Approach from a Cardiopulmonary Perspective. An Intensive Lab
This course gives an evidence based clinical approach to the cardiopulmonary perspective of assessment and management of acutely-ill patients (of any diagnosis) across the continuum of care. Therapists working in different settings are frequently challenged with complex patients with cardiopulmonary diagnoses including CHF, Pneumonia and COPD or multiple systemic co-morbidities with effects on the cardiopulmonary system. This course will empower the therapist with assessment tools and understanding of the pathophysiology of cardiopulmonary conditions, to modify their therapy accordingly. The course content includes cardiopulmonary physical examination including auscultation, ABG analysis, CXR etc, exercise testing and prescription with strong emphasis on outcome measures and documenting effectiveness of therapy. Pulmonary interventions taught in this course are positioning, breathing techniques, chest clearance techniques and adjuncts of respiratory therapy like use of flutter, acapella etc.
Upon completion of the lecture cum workshop the participants should be able to:
1. Formulate an effective cardiopulmonary assessment utilizing appropriate monitoring techniques like BP, HR, ECG monitoring, auscultation, ABG analysis, LFT, CXR and lab values.
2. Utilize various standardized outcome measures such as exercise testing, balance testing and Quality of Life questionnaire.
3. Demonstrate knowledge of individualized exercise prescription based on the exercise testing results and its modification for certain population groups.
4. Design and perform various therapeutic interventions like ACBT, postural drainage, positions for breathlessness, use of adjuncts for chest clearance like flutter, acapella etc.
5. Devise a safe and an effective plan of care for patients with different pathophysiological conditions including post operatively and relate precautions and modification of therapeutic interventions.
What Others are Saying:
"Komal Deokule was very knowledgeable. She was able to go in great details regarding the pulmonary system and physiology. Review of the case studies was very helpful. She was able to help me connect lab values, presentation of the patient to therapy treatment and intervention." - S Soriano, PT
"Komal was exceptional. She presented the information in a very digestible manner and was so excited for the content! It was great!" - PT
"This particular course has given me clarity on how my treatments can profoundly improve my patient's outcomes. I feel like I now have a voice in the medical field laced with evidence based knowledge and am seeing the immediate positive outcomes! - Vivian, PT